Kellogg’s video essay has been around for a few years now and is an integral part of admission’s assessment of each candidate. Read on to understand what Kellogg’s style is so you can get into that dream MBA. Remember to practice your answers to the video essay and interview on a platform like Voomer.
Kellogg is known for having a very particular culture. Some say it’s due to its midwestern setting, others say it is due to the collaborative nature of study there. Regardless of what the origins are, it is important to understand it so you can ace the video interview.
- Be down to earth and avoid showing off in your responses. Kellogg is known for being a very unassuming place.
- Try and emphasize teamwork in your answers. Kellogg pioneered the emphasis of teamwork in higher business education almost half a century ago. That culture is still alive and kicking today.
- Show how you will contribute. Kellogg has an extraordinarily strong student participation culture and admissions expects to see that drive to help and contribute in its applicants.
If you are a marketer (or a budding marketer), make sure that comes through in your answers. Kellogg is frequently thought of as “the” marketing business school due to the tenure of some marketing luminaries such as Philip Kotler.
Normally Kellogg has a relatively large question bank and the questions you’ll be asked are drawn from that. However, due to the extraordinary events of 2020, Kellogg has changed their format slightly and will ask the same three questions to all applicants:
- Please introduce yourself to the admissions committee.
2. What path are you interested in pursuing, how will you get there, and why is this program right for you?
3. 2020 has been a year of seismic disruption — fighting the global COVID-19 pandemic, tragic deaths that have brought systemic racism and social justice issues to the forefront of long overdue conversations, and economic and political divides that are growing deeper and deeper. How has this unprecedented year challenged you and how have you faced that challenge?
Stay humble, show admissions you did your research and try and highlight the occasions where teamwork was key to your success. That is what the Kellogg MBA admissions team is looking for in the video essay and video interview responses.
The other extremely important thing is to practice. Answering these questions as best you can takes some mental organization and preparation.
Use a platform like Voomer to prep for the essay and interview. They use the same question bank as Kellogg admissions does and have AI-powered analysis tools that evaluate your responses so you can improve quickly.